Send As SMS
Send As SMS

Friday, September 22, 2006

Site News - Virus Threat

I was rather shocked yesterday to find out that a trojan horse had mean running on my computer since a few days before I started up this blog. Backdoor.PCClient.B is a nasty trojan which gets in through an un-patched hole in Internet Explorer. It was one of the rare occasions when I was using IE rather than FF, and the only reson being I was checking my hotmail e-mail account. Windows Live hates Firefox. I'm an extremely cautious user and never download anything if I can help it. Since that date, I've downloaded nothing, other than Google software. The trojan infected my machine through malicious code as far as I can tell, but I'd like to put Symantec right. They claim that 0-2 sites are infected with the code which installs this, but it can't be right. The only sites I've visited have been Google, Blogger, my own blog, tech blogs, BBC News, some tech stor es and Amazon. Symantec also claim that 0-49 people have been infected with this, but browsing around, and checking with ant-virus companies, I can see alot more have. Perhaps this shouldn't be a risk factor 1, but at least a 2. The trojan did no serious damage as far as I could tell, other than disabling my anti-virus software (Norton, which didn't patch the tojan for 9 days since it's release!) and trying to disable other security features. Now it's gone, I'm more wary than ever, but you guys ought to be aware. (Seshi, I hope you're reading this!)

Labels: ,

links to this post

  Digg | Permalink | Posted by Davidat 3:53 pm. 2 comments





2 Comments:

Blogger Seshi said...

*has been reading* Thanks for the warning ^^

4:37 pm, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Delta said...

Yeah... I was supposedly patched a while ago. Apparently it wasn't! Symantec... I wonder if I can sue them for not patching it correctly? Ifact all that works is removal instructions.

5:14 pm, September 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home