Send As SMS
Send As SMS

Monday, January 01, 2007

January 1 - A New Year & A Look Back

January 1 - 2007. Wow. I'd just like to start by saying a big happy new year to all of you readers out there, and that it's nice to have you back, bright and early, readying yourselves for a new year. What are your new years resolutions going to consist of? I've not done mine yet, but when I have, I'll share the ones I think might be interesting enough for you guys to stomach. It's painful stuff, I know.

2006 was a big year for me though. I got into blogging, Web 2.0, and dug alot deeper into the Internet than I ever thought I'd get. I've made some pretty cool friends along the way, and I'd like to begin this year by thanking Colbert Low, for everything he's done for me. Without him, I wouldn't be working at Profy, I wouldn't have made half the contacts I have, and I probably would have ended up ditching this blog as a lost cause a long, long time ago.

But over at Profy, I wrote a review of 2006, and the way Web 2.0 has influenced our lives this past year. It's no up yet on Profy, but I'll post a bit of it here. It's not all of it, and I've missed out the bits about media and virality, but I'll post them at a later date, once the post goes up.

web2lookingbackat2006.jpg

There’s no doubt about it, Web 2.0 has dramatically changed the way all of us interact in our daily lives, whether on the net or off. So what sort of things have we seen in the past year that have really made a massive difference online? Well, Web 2.0 has come out in the masses, flinging open new doors and allowing for mass communities to connect.

Social Networking

The likes of MySpace, Bebo, Friendster, Facebook, MyBlogLog, LinkedIn and several other major networking websites have taken the world by storm. There’s no doubt that social networking is very popular, particularly amongst younger people. According to Alexa, MySpace is the world’s 5th most visited website. The thing is, social networking shows no sign of stopping, as within the last three months, MySpace has seen a 9% rise in visitors, that shows no sign of stopping.

But why has it all been so succesful? Well, here, I believe we’re going back to one of the so-called ‘principles’ of Web 2.0. Community, something that social networking relies on. The heart of ’social’, is community.

Social Bookmarking

Many major social networking websites have popped up, but there was no place for people to collectively share their favourite links and articles with the world. This is where social bookmarking came in. Digg, Del.icio.us and Reddit are just a handful of the most popular bookmarking options open to people, made popular thanks to their ease of use. Many other startups have launched, aiming to mimic these bigger, more popular websites, all with no avail. Of course, how could I forget Slashdot? Slashdot is slightly different to the others. It’s a moderated system, that only shows the funnest, wackiest, weirdest, geeky, or most interesting technology related news to the masses. These cookmarking websites receive millions of hits each month, and many phrases have been coined to describe the effect that websites feel after being hit with the ‘Digg effect’ (Where a story is promoted to a front page, gets so many hits and crashes a server!) and the ‘Slashdot effect’, in which a story is published, and due to the sheer number of visitors it receives, the server collapses under the enormous strain of serving up a page to hundreds of thousands of people simultaneously.

Start Pages

Netvibes, Pageflakes and Goowy are perhaps the most innovative and popular start pages of the bunch. I personally don’t use a start page, but that’s my own preference. I know that world-wide, they’ve been massively popular, with streaming of feeds & news, instant access to e-mails, search, local weather forecasts, links to social bookmarking sites and more. Ironically as I write this post, Pageflakes is down for maintenance, but they promise to be ‘back within a few hours’.

Within the past month, start pages have expanded dramatically, pushing it ever further into the tangled net that is Web 2.0. Netvibes has become available in Greek, Turkish, Russian, Danish, Ukranian, Polish and Dutch. More new features have been popping up on all new start pages, and they’ve become so easy to use, that anyone can now use them, no specialized account needed.


Labels:

links to this post

  Digg | Permalink | Posted by Davidat 12:17 pm. 4 comments





4 Comments:

Blogger Timothy Williams said...

Bravo! Bravo! Delta. Can't wait to see the rest on profy.com !

6:42 pm, January 01, 2007  
Blogger colbert said...

No probs. You are a cool blogger....Cheers from me in Malaysia.

7:53 am, January 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about Protopage? Give it a go and the power of your searching will never be the same (750 listed search engines). Try widgetting, hundreds of them and adding!
Happy New Year!

10:32 pm, January 02, 2007  
Blogger Delta said...

Timothy: Cheers mate!

Colbert: You but you just rock...

Anonymous: Quite right... I too believe that in 2007, Protopages will influence our lives and develop beyond what we have currently seen them deliver. Perhaps I'll add that at a later date, or have a look at them in a whole new article.

8:57 am, January 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home