Send As SMS
Send As SMS

Sunday, January 07, 2007

January 7 - Web 2.0 Interview

I'm proud to have a Timo Heuer, a Web 2.0 journalist with us here on Techzi today. You may be seeing a bit mor eof Timo in the coming weeks, along with the relaunch of Techzi, and a few other fresh faces.

I've invited Timo in, to ask him to talk in-depth about Web 2.0, him, and Web 2.0 in Germany. I'd imagine the aspects and opinions on the matter would be rather different, but was I right?

Timo. Tell my readers a bit about yourself, and how you got into the exciting Web 2.0 arena.

My name is Timo Heuer and I am a German 15 year old blogger. I think blogging brought me into the Web 2.0 scene, how I call it. I'm very active in the German Web 2.0 scene and know many people - it's very nice to chat to them. At the moment I'm doing some several things... Of course, I have my weblog (http://heuer.sajonara.de) and I do some journalistic things like writing for the Readers Edition as a citizen journalist. That's a German project recently sold. And I'm advisor of some Web 2.0 applications: Vagabund.biz for example. It's a service I call "Social Yellow Pages". You can write reviews about restaurants, attractions etc. There are strong competitors like Qype in Germany and Yelp international, but I think Vagabund has some cool new functionalities. I call myself a Web 2.0 guy. In the future I hope to do some investments in new start-ups. My only investment right now is an investment fund for new energy.

That's cool. I asked you here today to talk about Web 2.0, because you're closer to my age than most of the other Web 2.0 experts out there. As a 15-year old, you must have some pretty different views on Web 2.0, online media and such. What do you think the future of the net lies in?

I have two visions, how the world can look in the future. The first is, that Web 2.0 is only a bubble. An argument against that is, that there are not many companies who go to stock exchange. And the big companies like Google and Yahoo! understand their mistakes in the New Economy and adapt. But there are also some arguments for a bubble Web 2.0. Most of the start-ups don't have a massive business model, such as YouTube. But if Web 2.0 is not a bubble, and I'm supporter of that statement, we will have a Web 3.0. I think Jajah and Jaxtr and the things they do will be very important in Web 3.0. But also Creative Commons and general Open Source will be very significant for the Web 3.0.

That's very true. We've seen Creative Commons massive effect on the blogosphere. It will most certainly be interesting to see how it shapes in future years. So tell everyone Timo, what blogs do you author, and how long have you been blogging?

I began blogging in April 2006, I think. Maybe earlier, but there are no sources for finding out. My first post was in my native language though. German. I switched to the English language after a few months, and have recently relaunched my blog again in German, closing the old one. I closed the old one...
Furthermore I am at some other weblogs: Readers Edition and Sajonara, both in German.

I gather you've given quite a few Web 2.0 speeches in the past. What did you talk about, and can you briefly summarize it all?

The speech you refered is only available on video. It was about tagging and how would it looks like when you'd use it in the reality. It was quite complicated, so I won't go into it now, but yes. I have given Web 2.0 speeches before, as well as advice services.

What Web 2.0 services are you using now on a regular basis?

Tonnes (full list here). The most common I use though are:
iKarma: http://www.ikarma.com/user/THeuer
Jaiku: http://theuer.jaiku.com/
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/upim/
MyBlogLog: http://www.mybloglog.com/buzz/members/upim/
Sevenload: http://sevenload.de/mitglieder/THeuer
Vagabund: http://www.vagabund.biz/people/THeuer.html
Viddler: http://www.viddler.com/explore/upim/
And many others...

Are there any German start-ups that you think will do well in coming years, and possibly expand further out, into Europe and beyond?


There is XING. It's like LinkedIn but more popular in Germany. I'm not allowed to make an account there, because I'm too young... But I think it has a great future. Then there is Sevenload, a video sharing site recently available for international. And of course there is Plazes.com, who describle themselfs "Plazes adds physical presence to the web. The Plazes website automatically detects your location and connects you to people and places nearby. See people in your area, discover other locations and follow the whereabouts of your friends."
I know some other start-ups, but they are not from Germany. One is called Viddler. I think it's much better than YouTube. In the future it will make you able to add subtitles, although your video is already uploaded. That's a nice feature.

Yes... I reviewed Viddler a few weeks back. Anyhow. It's been great to have you here Timo. Thanks for that!

And there you have it. The 15-year old super-kid, Timo Heuer.

Labels: , ,

links to this post

  Digg | Permalink | Posted by Davidat 4:28 pm. 1 comments





1 Comments:

Blogger Timothy Williams said...

I nearly thought you were talking about me then... :D

6:29 pm, January 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home